Wondering how to stay competitive as a developer? With technology being such an ever-growing field with more and more professionals joining, it can feel almost impossible to make yourself stand out from the hundreds of other developers just like you. You can help give yourself a leg up by figuring out what developer skills will always be in demand. Below is a list of ten skills that technology developers should always have to make them stand out:
3. Machine Learning: not familiar with machine learning? Demand of machine learning knowledge is only increasing, so be sure to educate yourself as soon as possible. Machine learning is in such demand because it can be applied to so many industries: healthcare, education, and more. Arm yourself with knowledge so you can stay at the cutting edge.
4. Mobile Development: let’s face it, companies that want to stay relevant need to build apps. As the use of smartphones only increases globally, more companies will be searching for developers who can build apps for mobile use.
5. UX and UI Design: UI designers make interfaces for websites and apps to be aesthetically appealing and easy to use. UX specialists research and test methods in which users interact with the product.
6. Cloud Computing/AWS: simply, more of these jobs are available because more companies are switching to cloud solutions. Currently, AWS is the biggest, most robust, and most popular platform, so IT workers who are AWS-certified usually earn more than non-certified professionals.
8. IoT: not familiar with this term? IoT essentially means everything connected to the Internet, and, more specifically, things within the Internet that can speak to each other. If you’re interested in the IoT, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with designing IoT networks and the components that are required to build them, data management, and most importantly, cyber security, since everything in the IoT can be hacked.
9. Cybersecurity: companies will always need people to make sure their networks are safe, staying up to date with the latest ways networks can be hacked and the precautions that need to be taken to keep things secure.
10. AI: if you’re not interested in anything above, Artificial Intelligence might be the newest, most exciting field within IT for you. AI pertains directly to machines that are built to act as intelligently as humans.