Job Description for Voice Technician/Engineer (Unified Communications)
This technical position is broad in scope and includes the defining, designing, installing, and maintaining the communication systems architecture and network. This role will focus on supporting a Session Border Controller environment running on a Ribbon/Sonus technology.
- Support Session Border Controllers for the enterprise’s call routing, voice and telephony needs at campus locations, airports, operations, sales offices, and reservations worldwide.
- Coordinate with architects to develop the strategy for defining, deploying, and maintaining Session Border with regards to the Call Center Technology/Unified Communications architecture.
- Assist with designing, and deployment of a reliable and robust Session Border Controller architecture and platform.
- Support the enterprise Call Center/Unified Communications vision deliverables by implementing viable technologies, ensuring compatibility with the existing environment, and acting as a technical resource for peers and managers within the team.
- Research and remain current on emerging Call Center Technology/Unified Communications technologies, products, services, protocols, and standards that are directly in line with the vision, business needs, and requirements.
- Ensure integration compatibility of new Session Border Controller systems with enterprise LANs, WANs and Internet-based services and protocols.
- Identify opportunities for automation.
- Improve efficiency and reliability by streamlining manual processes that are redundant or repetitive.
- Collaborate with other business units to understand how automation can improve workflow.
- Support telecommunications infrastructure and its associated software, including PBXs, call management systems, voice mail, and interactive voice response, and respond to issue escalation and service interruption as a confident technical leader.
Skills & Responsibilities
- Experience with implementing converged voice and data solutions using session border controllers
- 3 – 5 years’ hands on working experience with Session Border Controller (Ribbon/SONUS, Acme Packet, Cisco, etc.)
- Configure, manage, support and troubleshoot the SBC 5×00, SBC7000, 9000, SBC SWe platforms, EMS, PSX DSI.
- Ability to understand Call Center Systems and routing strategies
- Knowledge of voice, data, and IP networking (LAN/WAN)
- Technical knowledge of VoIP/IP telephony systems, PBXs, voice mail, ACD’s, interactive voice services
- Telephony Traffic and Engineering (Erlangs, Trunks, Blockage, etc.)
- Technical knowledge of PSTN, T1/PRI, SIP, H.323 (IP), H.320 (ISDN), TCP/IP and MPLS
- Understanding of VoIP QoS issues and mitigation strategies (G711, G729, etc.)
- SIP Architecture Integration
- Experience working with the following platforms Cisco, Avaya, NEC, and Nortel
- Experience with current best practices in IT standards, principles, and security practices
- Understanding of Cloud Architecture
- Ability to work with limited supervision, be highly motivated, persistent, a self-starter and able to manage multiple projects, groups of people, and company/industry changes simultaneously.
- PC skills, Microsoft Office Suite mastery, Visio and spreadsheets is required.